Sunday 15 September 2013

Day 15, Sunday, September 15: Tudela - Gallur (38kms)!!!

This is our biggest day yet: to be a 10 hr work!

Plenty of time to call to mind all the prayers entrusted to me! They are a part of my every day. I take heart from the prayers of those pilgrim aging with me, praying: that I may see you more clearly, love you more dearly, and follow you more nearly.

Michael Smith sj, although not walking again today because of severe shin soreness, set the theme for our day ( in fact, I accompanied him to hospital last evening to be his interpreter as he underwent numerous tests to see what damage there was - the results were positive, no bone damage, rest needed for a few days.)

We ponder Jesus baptism in the river Jordan ( as we follow the river Ebra!), and the voice from heaven, "You are my beloved Son, my favour rests on you."

You and I are that son or daughter, beloved of God, graced and favoured - dare I believe this? Many rich insights and personal experiences came to me throughout the day as I contemplated this scripture.

The sun was just rising as we set out - what beauty heralding a long journey ahead.

She'll be apples!! Acres and acres of apples!

 

And every other fruit!

 


The stream carries us along, knowing we are carried by the stream of other's prayers, not least of all, by the stream of God's love: you are my beloved.
 

Harvest in full swing, reaping a hundredfold!

 

Now there are peppers in abundance!

 

Living waters irrigating verdant lucerne.

As well as the railway line accompanying us, wind generators are in their thousands, ever in sight, as are giant solar panels: we too draw on envy from the wind of the Spirit, and the ever shining Son.

Planes ceaselessly fly above, forming giant crosses: what do they signify?

Lunch time at Charly's Bar, after 6hrs walking and 24kms: good tucker and a refreshing beer make ready for the final leg of 16kms.

 

 

A rest every 2 hours to catch one's breath and ease weary and sore feet. Some of the road today was brutal: riverbed type large pebbles, bruising and pummeling sore, blistered feet.

 

The cathedral church signals our destination: as at the beginning, storks nests abound on the roof. What new life has been born today in our hearts as we journeyed these long hours?

 

Seeking our bus at the Gallur railway station: will it have arrived?

 

A well earned 'malt sandwich' in a bar near our hotel to celebrate the day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment